OCU Professor Named Chillicothe Schools’ Educator Emeritus
The Chillicothe City Schools and the Chillicothe Education Association recognized Ohio Christian University mathematics professor Dennis Ray as this year's Educator Emeritus. The ceremony was held Friday, January 18.
Ray spent his entire 30-year public school teaching career at Chillicothe High School, retiring in 2008. He taught all levels of mathematics from ninth-grade math to AP Calculus.
Ray was the Carrollton High School salutatorian in 1974. He earned his Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics in 1978 from the College of Wooster and began teaching at Chillicothe High School the fall of that same year. He earned a Master of Education in Mathematics Education in 1982 from Ohio University, Athens.
Some accomplishments Ray has compiled:
- Chillicothe Education Association president (1 term); treasurer; building rep; member of several CEA negotiating teams, once as Chief Negotiator
- Member of the initial teaching team of a ninth grade Tech Prep integrated program (1980’s)
- Ninth grade girls basketball coach (1981 – 1984)
- Varsity Girls Basketball Coach (1984 – 1988); District champs 1988
- First Ross County teacher to achieve certification from the National Board of Professional Teaching Standards in Adolescent/Young Adult Mathematics
- Member of several Ohio Department of Education committees creating Mathematics Teaching Standards adopted in 2001 then creating model lessons for these standards
- Member of Gov. Taft’s Teacher Advisory Board
- Author of The Stakes Are High: God’s Wisdom for Our Public Schools, published in 2008 by Tate Publishing.
- Author of A.W.O.L .(Acting WithOut Love) Christians, published in 2011 by Publish America.
With a heritage dating back to 1948, Ohio Christian University offers a complete education that develops students intellectually, professionally and spiritually. OCU offers degree programs designed to equip students to become leaders in their careers, communities, families and in the world. Students enrolled in OCU’s traditional undergraduate program attend classes at its main campus in Circleville, Ohio. OCU’s Adult and Graduate Studies offers 13 campus locations as well as online degree programs.