Substance Abuse Counseling
A Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling will allow you to work in addiction recovery services field. The Substance Abuse Counseling degree is designed to equip the person entering the addiction recovery field with the 270 hours of chemical dependency education required for licensure in the State of Ohio.
Those who are already employed in treatment facilities and have completed a minimum of 40 clock hours in specific areas are eligible to apply for Chemical Dependency Counselor Assistant (CDCA) certificate in Ohio. Additional requirements, such as supervised work experience in an addiction counseling setting, are the responsibility of the student and usually are accomplished after graduation.
Potential students are encouraged to read the Ohio Credentialing Board’s requirements at http://www.ocdp.ohio.gov or, for those who may live outside of Ohio, the International Certification and Reciprocity Consortium at www.internationalcredentialing.org.
Ohio Christian University understands and supports your commitments to your family and career. Our program has been designed specifically for working adults. You take one class at a time and textbooks are mailed directly to your home. Achieve your potential and fulfill your dreams! What you know now has gotten you this far. Learn more and go further by attending OCU.
Students who complete the Substance Abuse Counseling major should be able to:
- Integrate Christian principles in critical thinking and decision making.
- Demonstrate awareness and improvement of thinking and learning strategies.
- Identify the needs of persons using assessment techniques, diagnostic criteria, and treatment planning.
- Utilize appropriate counseling techniques with individuals, families, and groups.
- Provide chemical dependency specific education to clients, families, groups and the community.
- Design and provide aftercare.
- CD1000 Introduction to Substance Abuse
- CD2200 Psychopharmacology
- CD2500 Prevention Strategies
- CD3000 Ethical and Legal Issues in Counseling
- CD3200 Family Dynamics in Substance Abuse
- CD3600 Diagnostic Evaluation and Assessment
- CD3700 Case Management
- CD4100 Theories and Techniques of Individual Counseling
- CD4200 Theories and Techniques of Group Counseling
- CD4800 State Test
- CM3000 Christian Excellence
- IT1000 Introduction to Computers
- PH3000 Transformed Worldview
- PS2600 Abnormal Psychology
- PS3000 Methods in Counseling
- PS4030 Spiritual Dimensions of Illness and Recovery
- TH4000 Introduction to Theology