Master of Arts in Ministry: Pastoral Care and Counseling
Ohio Christian University has developed its Master of Arts with a major in Ministry to enhance the ministry skills of pastors and lay leaders in the local church. The program will prepare students to serve even more effectively in the church and society, whether they are in paid or lay ministry.
The program has been launched with a memorandum of understanding with Wesley Biblical Seminary. If a student desires to enter directly in Wesley Biblical Seminary’s Ministry Division program, he/she should discuss the details with his/her academic advisor.
The Master of Arts with a major in Ministry program consists of a core requirement (8 courses) and specialization concentrations (Practical Theology and Pastoral Care and Counseling), each consisting of 4 courses. All courses contribute to the ability to enhance students’ ministry skills. All graduates of this program must be grounded in the Bible, theology, and historical thought and context of the church.
The Pastoral Care and Counseling Concentration is designed for those ministers who are called to a counseling ministry. The program is not designed to qualify the graduate to work as a licensed counselor. Rather it is designed for those in ministry to develop their counseling skills.
Upon completion of the graduate program a student should be able to:
- Demonstrate a deep love for God by continually practicing spiritual disciplines.
- Analyze Christian theological thinking through the centuries and its effects on the church and culture and the effects of culture and church on Christian theological thinking.
- Conduct independent research and evaluation of biblical and theological literature and apply knowledge to enhance ministry practices.
- Analyze situations and choose the proper interventions to help others cope with crises.
- Conduct research that leads to enhanced ministry practices.
- MA5001 Introduction to Graduate Studies
- MA5500 History of Christian Thought
- MA5600 Theology of John Wesley
- MA5200 Worship in the Church
- MA5400 Old Testament History and Interpretation
- MA5300 New Testament History and Interpretation
- MA5100 Pastoral Care Giver
- MA6801 Ministry Capstone
- PS6000 Methods of Pastoral Counseling
- PS6400 Spiritual Issues in Pastoral Counseling
- PS6200 Ethical and Legal Issues in Pastoral Counseling
- PS6600 Pastoral Intervention in Crisis