Money, Greed, & God
Jay W. Richards, Ph.D., a Senior Fellow of the Discovery Institute where he directs the Center on Wealth, Poverty, & Morality and Dave Garrison, host of The Faith & Liberty Talk Show, and former U.S. Congressional candidate, discuss Dr. Richard’s book Money, Greed, & God, which addresses the biblical view of the economy, welfare, and the Christian’s response to poverty. Dave and Dr. Richards also explore the causes of the recent financial crisis. Dr. Richards’ work has been covered in publications such as The New York Times, The Washington Post (news and editorial), Wall Street Journal; he has appeared on many national radio and TV programs, including Larry King Live; and he has lectured worldwide on a variety of subjects including Members of the U.S. Congress.
Resources mentioned in the show
- The Discovery Institute: http://www.discovery.org
- Peter J. Wallison at the American Enterprise Institute: http://www.aei.org/scholar/peter-j-wallison/
- Russ Roberts, Gambling with Other People’s Money: http://mercatus.org/publication/gambling-other-peoples-money
- The Heritage Foundation paper; The Facts About Poverty in America: http://www.heritage.org/research/commentary/2012/02/the-facts-about-poverty-in-america
Books mentioned on the show:
- C.S. Lewis, author of The Abolition of Man; http://www.amazon.com/The-Abolition-Man-C-Lewis/dp/0060652942/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365645695&sr=8-1&keywords=c.s.+lewis+the+abolition+of+man
- Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations; http://www.amazon.com/Wealth-Nations-Adam-Smith/dp/161382081X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1365645907&sr=1-1&keywords=adam+smith+the+wealth+of+nations
- Jim Wallis, Rediscovering Values; http://www.amazon.com/Rediscovering-Values-Wall-Street-Hardcover/dp/B0035FTUH6/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1365647409&sr=1-2&keywords=rediscovering+values
- Sheila Barr, A Bull By the Horns: Fighting to Save Main Street from Wall Street and Wall Street from Itself;http://www.amazon.com/Bull-Horns-Fighting-Street-Itself/dp/1451672489/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1365649165&sr=1-1&keywords=sheila+barr
- Charles Murray, Losing Ground: American Social Policy, 1950-1980; http://www.amazon.com/Losing-Ground-American-1950-1980-Anniversary/dp/0465042333/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1365651171&sr=1-6&keywords=charles+murray
- Star Parker, Uncle Sam’s Planation: How Big Government Enslaves America’s Poor and What we Can Do About It.;http://www.amazon.com/Uncle-Sams-Plantation-Government-Enslaves/dp/1595552235/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1365652986&sr=1-1&keywords=uncle+sam%27s+plantation
Dr. Jay W. Richards, Ph.D. is a Senior Fellow and Director of Research at the Discovery Institute and a Contributing Editor of The American at the American Enterprise Institute. (www.american.com). He is the author of several books including Money, Greed, and God, and co-author of The Privileged Planet with astronomer Guillermo Gonzalez. In recent years he has been a Visiting Fellow at the Heritage Foundation, and a Research Fellow and Director of Acton Media at the Acton Institute. Richards is also executive producer of several documentaries, including The Call of the Entrepreneur, The Birth of Freedom, and Effective Stewardship (Acton Media and Zondervan, 2009). He has a B.A. with majors in Political Science and Religion, an M.Div. (Master of Divinity) and a Th.M. (Master of Theology), and a Ph.D. (with honors) in philosophy and theology from Princeton Theological Seminary. His work has been covered in publications such as The New York Times, The Washington Post (news and editorial), Wall Street Journal; he has appeared on many national radio and TV programs, including Larry King Live; and he has lectured worldwide on a variety of subjects, including to Members of the US Congress.