The Worship Leadership program is designed to prepare students who will serve as a leaders or participants in worship ministry. The program grounds students in a biblical understanding of worship’s role in a healthy church, nurtures in them an evident commitment to spiritual life, and orients them to servant leadership through music. It is structured to ensure competency in knowledge and skills that support worship ministry, with a particular emphasis on musical skills.
Upon completion of this program, the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate readiness for ministry through an evident and attractive Christian witness.
- Communicate an understanding of the biblical foundations for spiritual life and worship ministry.
- Demonstrate the musical and leadership gifts and abilities requisite for worship ministry.
- Plan and lead worship that is rooted in the gospel, appropriate for the setting in which it functions, and edifies those whom it engages.
- Relate to a wide variety of individuals to and with whom they are called to minister.
GENERAL EDUCATION - 43 Credits*
RELIGION - 26 Credits ‡
MAJOR - 51 Credits
Worship Leadership Forum
Worship Leadership Forum is required each semester.
Seven (7) credits of applied studies are required. This requirement must be completed through MU171 Applied Voice I, MU191 Applied Piano I, or Applied Instrument(s), such as guitar, trumpet, clarinet, etc.
Eight (8) credits of ensemble are required. Four (4) of these credits must be completed through MU109 OCU Chorale. The remaining four (4) credits can be completed through MU109 OCU Chorale, MU140 University Band, or small ensembles.
Worship Leader Internship
Two (2) semesters of Worship Leader Internship are required during the senior year.
Worship Leadership Electives
Three (3) hours of Worship Leadership Electives are required to complete this major. This requirement must be completed through Worship Leadership Practicum Electives (1 hour each), Conducting Elective (MU212 Choral Conducting or MU375 Instrumental Conducting - 2 hours), or Additional Internship Hours.