Teacher Education: Early Childhood (K-3)
The university offers state-approved programs in teacher education in three areas; an early childhood program planned for grades K-3, a middle childhood program planned for grades 4-9 with social studies and language arts concentrations, and a K-12 music education program. The K-12 music education program is described under the music department section of the catalog. Upon completion of the program and the satisfaction of all program requirements students will be recommended to the Ohio Department of Education for initial licensure.
Formal admission to the program begins with the second year. Criteria for admission to program are listed below. Upon formal admission to the Teacher Education Program, students must declare their major area of concentration.
The goal of Ohio Christian University's Teacher Education Program is to graduate competent, caring, and qualified teachers for public and private schools. The program integrates a Christian worldview and constructivist philosophy of education.
Upon graduation students will:
- Demonstrate a strong Christian world view.
- Demonstrate appropriate professional characteristics as well as being life long learners by setting professional goals and continually reflecting on and evaluating their teaching.
- Demonstrate a broad base knowledge in general core education subjects and extensive knowledge in their curricula area.
- Value a holistic approach in dealing with learners by engaging in a wide range of teaching techniques and assessment practices, promoting learners' construction of understanding and higher order thinking.
- Develop relevant learning for pupils of varied educational, cultural, economic, and language backgrounds.
- Demonstrate the ability to use technology for their own learning and integrate available technology in their teaching to enhance student learning.
General Education Core = 51 hours
Religion Core = 16 hours
Early Childhood 4/5 Generalist Endorsement
This is a four-course sequence that will meet the requirements of the 4th/5th grade endorsement in the State of Ohio. This endorsement is added to an Early Childhood License (Pre-K to Grade 3). This is also open to all graduate students.
- TE214 [3 hours] Math Methods for Middle Childhood with Field Experience
- TE326 [3 hours] Reading/Language Arts Methods for Middle Childhood with Field Experience
- TE335 [3 hours] Teaching Reading with Literature for Middle Childhood
- TE458 [3 hours] Integrating Social Studies and Science in 4th/5th Grades (including Ohio History)
- MI100 Introduction to Christian Missions
- CM202 Evangelism
- TE100 Integrated Studies for Teachers
- TE203 Study in the Foundations of Teaching
- TE218 Teaching Art in Early Childhood
- TE221 Math Methods for Early Childhood with Field Experience in grades K, 1, 2, 3
- TE311 Teaching Music in Early Childhood
- TE421 Phonics & the English Language
- TE333 Foundations of Literacy for Early Childhood
- TE244 Teaching Health & Phys Ed in Early Childhood
- TE423 Teaching the Exceptional Child
- TE322 Reading/Language Arts Methods for Early Childhood
- TE313 Educational Psychology
- TE347 Educational Technology
- TE332 Teaching Reading in the Content Area for Early Childhood
- TE426 Social Studies Methods for Early Childhood
- TE427 Science for the Elementary Child
- TE499 Clinical Experience