What actions should I be taking to secure my Financial Aid?
- If you have not submitted the FAFSA, do it now! Don’t delay! You will receive a report from the federal processor after submitting the FAFSA. Check the report carefully for errors. Any errors that are found should be corrected. Errors can be corrected at https://studentaid.gov/, or you may call our office at 1 (740) 420-5944 for help.
- If you have completed your FAFSA, but have been selected for verification or have other FAFSA issues please submit the requested paperwork to the OCU Financial Aid Office. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions.
- Look for a summer job! Chances are, you will need to contribute at least some money toward your school bill for the coming school year. Do not depend on school loans as your income for college!
- Notify us of any scholarships you have received from outside sources. This will enable us to finalize your financial aid package for the coming school year once we have received your FAFSA.
- If your family contribution is unmanageable, consider making interest-free monthly payments through the online payment system. Call the Ohio Christian University Financial Aid Department at 1 (740) 420-5944 for more information.
- Check with your church and remind them of our Church Matching Grant Program. We will match up to $500 per semester with your church’s donation to your education. Church Matching Grant Program application forms are available in the Financial Aid Office and online.
- NEW STUDENTS: Ask your guidance counselor to forward your FINAL high school transcript to Ohio Christian University.
- Consider our monthly payment plan through the OCU website. If you prefer to take advantage of this service, just go to, www.OhioChristian.edu/aid and click on "Payment Options."
- If you have signed up for the OCU payment plan, your first payment is due August 1st. Review your award letter and billing estimate and send it back signed to the Financial Aid Office along with any other requested paperwork that you received in your award packet. Payment must be made in full by August 1st unless another payment option has already been selected.
- The first date you may submit your FAFSA application for Ohio is October 1st by midnight, Central Time. Get paperwork in order this month and prepare to submit your FAFSA as soon as possible after October 1st.
- Fill out the FAFSA online starting in October using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool and/or other requested financial information. Designate Ohio Christian University (School ID#003030) as a recipient of the data. You can find out more directly from studentaid.ed.gov/filling-out.
Is Ohio Christian University accredited?
Yes, Ohio Christian University is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, a member of the North Central Association. In addition, OCU is affiliated with the Association for Biblical Higher Education and the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities.
What is financial aid?
Financial aid is any kind of money that is either given or loaned to a student for a period of time, which can assist in paying for school. It can take the form of Grants, Loans, or Scholarships.
Is Ohio Christian University approved to receive Federal and State financial aid?
Yes, Ohio Christian University has been approved to receive both Federal and State financial aid funds since 1973.
Does Ohio Christian University accept employer assistance or reimbursements?
Yes. For specific terms regarding your employer's reimbursement and tuition assistance policies, please see your employee handbook or inquire at your company about the program. OCU is happy to work with students and companies to ensure that education is affordable and easy to access.
Does Ohio Christian University accept military benefits?
Ohio Christian accepts all applicable military benefits (e.g. GI Bill, Ohio National Guard Scholarship program, etc.). It is important for you to obtain, complete, and submit the appropriate forms for your benefits to be secured. To begin the process, the student should contact his or her respective educational liaison within the appropriate military organization. Guidance on this process can be provided by our OCU Financial Aid office at 1 (740) 420-5944
Additionally, Ohio Christian University Undergraduate Residential Program is proud to provide a flat tuition rate discount of $500 per semester to all military service members and veterans.
How do I apply for financial aid?
To apply for financial aid, you must first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. The FAFSA can be found at studentaid.gov/sa/fafsa Enter Ohio Christian University's school code, 003030.
By completing the FAFSA, you are applying for federal grants and loans, along with state grants. Your financial aid advisor cannot determine your financial aid eligibility until you have completed and signed the FAFSA. The FAFSA must be completed annually.
What information do I need in order to complete the FAFSA?
The FAFSA will ask for specific tax information. Therefore, you will need to be prepared to enter information that can be found on the following items:
- Your (and your parents', if you are a dependent student) 1040 tax forms from the prior prior year (i. e. for the 2017-18 FAFSA, 2015 tax documents would be needed).
- Any W2 forms from your employer (and your parents’ employer, if you are a dependent student) from last year.
How can I make sure that Ohio Christian University receives all of my financial aid information?
This is very important! When asked to enter your school code on the FAFSA, please remember us! OHIO CHRISTIAN UNIVERSITY'S SCHOOL CODE IS: 003030.
How will I know my financial aid eligibility?
For students enrolled in the Traditional Program, a financial aid award packet will be mailed to you after registration. The award packet will include an award letter that will show your financial aid eligibility by listing the names and amounts of all awards offered to you. It will also include a copy of a billing estimate that informs you of your estimated charges and the out-of-pocket cost.
Are there scholarships available?
The traditional program has many scholarships available for students based on academics, leadership, affiliations and residency. Please take a look at the website for more details. For more information in the traditional program, please see www.ohiochristian.edu/aid/comparison-charts.
The AGS program tuition is significantly discounted, but there are some discounts offered for being members of certain organizations or churches. Please check with your AGS recruiter for more details.
When will I receive my excess funds?
Ohio Christian policy for Traditional student refunds states that students must receive all excess funds from their account within 14 days of the disbursement of the loan, grant or scholarship that created the excess funds, unless otherwise stated in the student’s file. In order to be eligible to receive any excess funds however, a student must be enrolled in class in accordance with the requirements of their loan, grant or scholarship. Most loans, grants and scholarships require full-time enrollment, while a few require only half-time enrollment or less.
How do Financial Aid Refunds Work?
Qualified students can receive a refund from their student accounts upon request to and approval from the Financial Aid office. All aid must be received for the semester before a refund will be approved. Refund preference should be noted on the Student Authorization to Retain Funds form. For policies governing tuition refunds, please see Online and Out of State Refund and Tuition Charges.
Financial Aid Department
Location: Graham Administration Building – Second Floor
Phone: 1 (740) 420-5944
Office of Student Development
Location: Dean and Diana Hickman Student Center – Second Floor
Phone: 1 (740) 477-7702
University Registrar’s Office
Location: Johnson Hall, First Floor. Enter from the circle drive. (Look for the blue canopy.)
Phone: 1 (740) 477-7780
Bookstore and Mailroom
Location: Dean and Diana Hickman Student Center – First Floor
Bookstore Phone: 1 (740) 420-5928
Mailroom Phone: 1 (740) 477-7756
Location: Maxwell Library – First Floor
Phone: 1 (740) 477-7737