Frequently Asked Questions - Information Technology
- What system requirements do I need for my computer in order to enroll in one of OCU's programs?
We require you to have the following computer requirements:
- IBM-compatible computer
- Windows Vista or later
- Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Plus- ***Will be sent to students before first class sent by Tree of Life Bookstore
- 1 GHz CPU or higher
- 1 GB RAM
- Internet access (high speed Internet requried)
- Internet Explorer 8.0 or later (Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox are also compatible browsers)
- Sound card and speakers
- 1024x768 or higher resolution monitor
- I can't access the Internet. What can I do?
Make sure you have had your machine properly connected to our network by a Helpdesk technician. If you are trying to connect to the OCUNet Wi-fi, please stop by the IT HelpDesk for assistance.
- Can I bring my own wireless access point?
No. Any device that can distribute OCU’s network is prohibited. Therefore any device that has a wireless distribution or sharing feature must be disabled while on OCU’s campus. Any other devices that seeks to bypass OCU’s internet filtering systems/firewall is also strictly prohibited.
- The printer is not printing. What can I do?
- If you are using one of our Lab computers, make sure you are logged into the computer using "your" username/password.
- If you are unsure if you are logged in, go ahead and log off, log in through Novell.
- Aso make sure that you are printing to the correct printer.
- Make sure that the printer is not out of paper.
- If this doesn't resolve your issue, please contact the IT Helpdesk. (740) 420-5907.
- It is asking me to authenticate? What does this mean?
This page is iPrism. Your login credentials are your Novell username and password. This page is what we use to verify that the individual is allowed to access OCUNet. Once you login to iPrism, you will be able to browse the web normally.
- I'm out of printing funds. What do I do?
Please stop by the Helpdesk and ask them to add money to your printing account. Students' printing accounts can only be credited once per semester, with increments of $25 being added to the account.
- I can't find my Network Drive. What can I do?
Make sure you have correctly logged into the machine with your username and password. If you still do not see your network drives, please log off of the machine and log back in again. This will refresh the connection with the network.
- How do I change my GroupWise password?
Login to Novell Groupwise. Click on 'Options,' then 'Password.' Remember, passwords are case sensitive; make sure 'Caps Lock' isn't turned on.
- It is asking me to authenticate? What does this mean?
This page is iPrism. Your login credentials are your Novell username and password. iPrism is our internet filtering system that is used here at OCU. page is what we use to verify that the individual is allowed to access OCUNet. Once you login to iPrism, you will be able to browse the web normally.
- Is there any way to print without having your ID Card?
Yes. You will need to login to SONISWeb and write down your SONIS ID number starting with the first two letters of your last name, added with a 7-digit code. This is your unique ID that you will need to know during your time at OCU. You will need to click print on the document. At our printer stations, you will need to type in your seven digit SONIS ID number in the EQUITRAC unit mounted on the wall, and hit "Enter".
- How do I login to a workstation?
To log into a workstation you will need a username and password. Your username is commonly your first initial of your first name, followed by your full lastname; it should also be the same username as your OCU Webmail, SonisWeb, & E360. Your password is initially your birthdate in six-digit birthday. (i.e. if you birthday is January 1, 1980, then your password is '010180').
If you need a password reset for any of your accounts, please contact our IT Help Desk at (740) 420-5907.
- What if I can't get Microsoft Office 2010 to install onto my computer?
Please go to "Control Panel" -> Under the Programs category, click on "Uninstall a program". Please check the list of programs, and uninstall any trial versions or previous full versions (Microsoft Office 2003 or 2007). After all instances of Office are uninstalled, please insert the Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Plus (Product Key Required) disc, and follow through the setup guide.
If you need assistance, please contact one of our IT HelpDesk Technicians at (740) 420-5907.
Note: The latest version of Microsoft Office (2011) for MAC can be purchased through the OCU Bookstore for a discounted price. For more info, please see www.ocubookstore.com
- How do I forward my OCU Email to another address?
- Log into webmail, mail.ohiochristian.edu
- Click on 'Options', and then 'Rules'.
- Change Type to 'Forward', click the Create button.
- Type 'forward' in rule name.
- Type your email adddress in the 'To' field.
- Click "Ok" on message that says it will apply to all new email.
- How do I uninstall Microsoft Office in Mac OS X?
Currently, the Remove Office tool is not available for Office 2011. To perform a manual uninstall, refer to the Microsoft Knowledge Base document How to completely remove Office for Mac 2011.
To remove earlier versions of Microsoft Office from your Mac OS X computer, use the Remove Office tool provided by Microsoft.
Note: The Remove Office tool will not delete documents you have created with Office programs unless they are located in the application folders for Microsoft Office. If you have documents you want to keep in any of the application folders, move them to a different folder before using the tool.
To find the Remove Office tool, open the Microsoft Office 2008 folder or the Microsoft Office 2004 folder, and then open the Additional Tools folder.
For instructions, read the Read Me file in the Remove Office folder.
When you run Remove Office, it will allow you to remove installations of Microsoft Office 98 through 2008, as well as related preferences and system files. Once you have run the program, it places the removed Office components in the Trash.
The following requirements must be met before you follow any of the steps in this article.
You must quit all applications.
You must be logged on as an administrator.
Make sure anything contained in the Trash can be deleted.
- What antivirus software should I install?
In this day and age, where there are essentially millions or virus/malware, protection your computer is vital. The IT Helpdesk is responsible for over 300 staff, faculty, and mobile lab computers. Ohio Christian University IT Department recommends downloading a free-software called Microsoft Security Essentials.
Microsoft Security Essentials is a free antivirus software product for Microsoft Windows operating systems, providing protection against types of malware, viruses, trojans, and rootkits. In addition, most of OCU's computers are also protected by Malwarebytes Anti-malware software. This combination of the two programs increases the ability to help protect the user from harmful material.
Other Antivirus programs such as Norton, AVG, Avira, and Avast are all sufficient programs and are compatibile with OCU's systems, however, some require a paid subscription or may not provide adequate protection from unwanted viruses.
- How do I access voicemail messages off campus?
A: Dial the voicemail access number (740) 477-7777. When you hear the system greeting, press # and enter your extension number and password, followed by #.
If you need assistance in reaching your voicemail, please contact the IT Helpdesk at (740) 420-5907.