The History major invites students to critically reflect upon the ideas, faith traditions, political movements, leaders, and cultures that shaped the West and the United States over the past three millennia and to understand the present as a continuation of the past. Through exposure to a broad set of readings and other work, the History major provides students with a background in the proper techniques for evaluating historical works, engaging in historical research, and developing advanced writing and presentation skills.
On graduating from the major, students should be able to:
100% Online courses in a 5-week as-you-go flexible format for busy adults featuring forum discussions and weekly assignment deadlines. Serves both undergraduate and graduate students.
Explore the full enrichment of the traditional collegiate experience and make new friends on our lively campus in Circleville Ohio. Serves 17-24 year-old undergraduate students.
24 hours within the major must be at the 3000 level or above. History courses taken to meet General Education requirements do not count toward major requirements.
U.S. history electives6
Western civilization elective3
European history elective3
Non-western history elective3
Additional history electives12
Research seminar or undergraduate thesis3
In addition to the courses listed on this page, graduates must meet the requirements listed here, including:
- A General Education Core
- Associate degrees – 36 credit hours
- Bachelor’s degrees – 45 credit hours
- Minimum credit hours
- Associate degrees – 60 credit hours
- Bachelor’s degrees – 120 credit hours
- Some majors require more credit hours than the listed minimums.
- Students choose elective courses to complete credit hour requirements.
- Electives may apply toward a minor, certificate, associate degree, or second major.
- Sometimes a course required in a student’s major can also fulfill a requirement in the GenEd core. (See notes on the individual major pages.)
Find complete information in the OCU Academic Catalog.
Contact the University Registrar's Office if you have graduation questions: 1 (740) 477-7780 or firstname.lastname@example.org